The last Bubdate - Bub has burned up the road for the last time

I really don;t know how to process this news, so I'll do it by sharing my pain and upset .... Bub went on fire during his first road test with the fully rebuilt engine.

I got the engine back on Monday and fitted it straight away. Today, I got busy getting work out the way and got the engine plumbed and wired in. All sorted and ship shape - nice.  Ignition on, pumped the loud pedal 5 times and turned the key ... fired up beautifully and after a minute or 2 ticked over really smoothly. Brilliant.

Left it to warm up then out for a wee drive - exactly what I expected ... really quick off the mark, really smooth through the gears, instant pickup, almost no throttle hesitation (a problem before). For sure the handling was evil but with some weight in the front to hold the nose on the road and the gear loaded in the back it would be epic.

So ... off for a longer run and after 25 miles it was just getting better (as I got used to it) and on the A77 heading home with the wind behind me I got a whiff of hot engine oil - not good but there was loads flying around from me spilling it so I wasn't too worried but as I slowed I caught the smell of burning oil!!!!  I stopped, hopped out and looked in the back and then things moved really quickly.

There was heat, a smell of oil and then a fast drip of what turned out to be petrol, I grabbed my tool bag to try and sort it but within seconds up it went. Crazy hot fire engulfed the whole car in seconds and that was it. Fire Brigade appeared eventually (I was miles out in the countryside) and half the team were car freaks and all I wanted to do was cry, and I still do.

I am gutted, the car is a write off and as we speak I have no idea what I'm going to do from here.

Thanks for following the Blog but I think it's game over.

Rachel






Comments