I'm back on the Bub Trail again ...

It's been a while, a long while since I Budated or even looked at the damn thing in earnest.

Actually that's not quite true, Bub has been sat in my carport looking forlorn and unloved while my Veteran Car (1912 Alldays & Onions) sat on the ramp being sorted after a breakdown. Now, however, the engine is back from the builder and is only lacking a few parts before it can be fired up and test driven and run in.

Here's the video (words below for the literate)



So, what went wrong? Short answer - the engine blew up, long answer ... read on

When developing an engine and making it run as best it can you need 20/20 hindsight as well as all the knowledge that all the 'experts' have. Clearly I have neither! What I had was a pile of parts, a bolt on Supercharger Kit that was nothing of the sort and about one third of an idea of how to put them all together. I'm going to cover the bits that led to the broken engine ...

Parts
  • 1300cc engine in very good condition
  • 1600cc piston/barrel set
  • 044 'big bore' cylinder heads
  • Joe Blow 'bolt on' supercharger kit
  • CB performance billet distributor with electronic ignition
So I built up the 1600cc with 044 heads and supercharger, and sort of got it running. Then I took it to John Maxwell in Buckhaven who did the best he could with the shitty Chinese DCOE40 carb. End result was 86BHP and 115ftlbs torque. The engine ran very nicely but stutter on sharp throttle openings and was due to get larger acceleration pump jets when, on its first long run it blew up.

Diagnosis was incorrect rocker geometry leading to low valve opening so the fuel/air got in and got burnt but couldn't get out so pressure and heat built up until the piston melted. On closer inspection this was exacerbated by me fitting the wrong spark plugs (short reach instead of long reach).

High lift rockers were invested in but needed HUGE amounts of machining for them to fit but it's all done now .... at a price! John estimate for power is now "close to 100BHP" but first job is new rocker covers, change the oil and new driveshaft boots so I can run the engine in properly. Then it's back to the dyno for a quic test run to see what it's making and then decide if I continue to spend £££ on a bigger carb and different inlet manifold.

Watch this space for the finishing up and test running/driving video

Comments