Serious post: Do not buy from Joe Blow aka Mick Percy before reading this

Here is a sorry tale of the perils of buying from overseas .... headlines ....

"Bolt on kit" fucking well is not
"good quality carburettor" is a crappy chinese piece of shit copy
"lifetime technical support" lasts about 3 days until the retailer gets bored
All kits come missing parts,poorly set up with incomplete or misleading instructions

Now read the details ....

I bought a supercharger kit and ignition system from Joe Blow, I am not putting his website ro FB page here because I have no wish to advertise him, and I have been both very impressed, adn massively disappointed in both his attitude and his products.

My dispute with him is over his misdescription of the ignition system. He didn't make it clear that I would have to adapt parts already received, his website totally failed to mention some parts that were needed and the kit arrived with parts missing that were listed as being included. His reaction to his errors was barely even a shrug of the shoulders.

When I asked for a refund he demanded return of both kits knowing I was both happy with the Blower kit and that I had already fitted it so it was not in a returnable condition. This was cynical at the least especially considering the cost of returning it to Australia from Scotland would be around £120.

He stopped communicating with me on the grounds that I told him that any review I would give of his products is likely to be negative if he was not prepared to be reasonable. He took this as a "threat" and "blackmail" and has effectively hel me to ransom over the £400 I have spent on the ignition system.

So, on to an honest review ....

AMR500 Blower kit
  • good design, with average execution
  • good fitting instructions but with major omissions
  • missing parts one might reasonably expect to be included (value about £10)
  • The carburettor supplied in the full kit is SHIT. Do NOT buy it. It is NOT a "good reproduction part", it is a cheap ass Chinese copy. 
  • The carb comes already fitted but missing vital gaskets and anti vibration parts (again value £10) but you wouldn't know this unless an expert
  • It is also the WRONG size. The blower needs the larger Carb ....
  • Expect to have huge problems to get it running properly - his jetting is massively incorrect
On the plus side ....
  • properly jetted, you can achieve MASSIVELY better results than his
    • He claims 83bhp from a standard 1600cc plus his kit
    • I have achieved 86bhp from mine and with a few further adjustments (low cost) I expect to achieve 95bhp
    • fit the correct carb and 110bhp is not unrealistic
  • This Blower kit despite the drawbacks offers fantastic value for money and simplicity to get great power and torque gains reliably in way that is totally useable on the road while returning decent MPG.
  • I definitely would buy it again but I would source my own carb
Ignition system
  • do NOT buy it 
  • does not work as advertised
  • requires extra parts and machining (not included in the kit) 
  • complicated software not easily used by non electronic wizards
  • Much cheaper, genuinely bolt on, alternatives are available locally worldwide
Mick Percy is a typical back street kit maker. He's come up with a half decent idea and sells it to people assuming they are in full knowledge of the facts. He will use ANY excuse to refuse to honour his 'warranty' and 'tech support' (e.g. give an honest review that you are less than happy) and does not accept his mistakes and refuses to make good on them.

I have spoken with 6 or 7 of his customers, in the UK and Australia and every single one says the same thing; it has cost them thousands more for professionals to sort out what is advertised as a "bolt on kit". I have spent £1200 more so far BUT I have achieved much more from his kit than he has and it is still 2/3 the cost of building an engine large enough to give the same power/torque.

Comments