It's begining to look a lot like Bubmas.... part 2

All the best laid plans .....

First job on Saturday morning was to use my new spring compressors to get the mac struts apart and the new springs and inserts fitted. All went well and it came apart really easily and then back together in under an hour per side. Nice!

Wheels back on, car off the axle stands and back on its boots and ... BANG!!! The strut top mount bushes collapsed - holy shit, you don't want that going on 2" above your head. The driver's side was sort of okay but the passenger side was nasty. Even though, I saw an increase in ride height of about 3/4".
That is NOT right!

Can't order anything at the weekend (Bub is a crossover year so always best to check you're ordering the correct parts) so I started on the clutch. With help the engine pops out, down on the ground, new 200mm Kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate and funky clutch parts taken out the box, admired and offered up to the ..... BUGGER .... 180mm flywheel. Buggerty-fuck, Arse.

Okay, I still have new toys to play with - a fancy new electronic ignition system all the way from Australia. Tea brewed, parts laid out, identified and ..... there are bits missing. Double check, treble check, look at the website. Yes, definitely parts missing. Double fuck. Seems the distributor delete plug was missing and the new pulley wheel with timing trigger plate installed wasn't either.

This is going to get it's own special video and Bubdate but essentially Mick at Joe Blow did not react well to the news that the Dizzy plug was missing and that I was very unhappy that I had not been told that my new pulley wheel had to be machined so I could fit the trigger ring AND the new manifold needed to have a boss welded on to it to accept the air temperature sensor - a boss that was NOT included in this £400 supposedly bolt on kit. Longer story made shorter, Mick Percy effectively told me to bugger off, will not answer my emails, will not send the missing parts nor honour his lifetime tech support guarantee nor give me a refund for teh kit that I no longer want because it was misdescribed to me (he did not mention the welding and machining at any point). So I'm suing him, and we will see how that goes!

Monday morning, I call up CoolairVW with my tale of suspension/clutch woe and order the new top mounts (£40 each) and a new 200mm flywheel, crankshaft and flywheel seals along with HD clutch mounting bolts. Another £170 I hadn't budgeted for.

Tuesday morning the UPS guy rocks up with a car package from CoolairVW and I get busy.
  • Passenger side coil spring compressed, 
  • top mount  unbolted and removed
  • new mount fitted and bolted back onto the car
  • Driver's side done as well - 90 minutes of faffing
  • Strut brace fitted 
  • Bonnet refitted
Front suspension now full height  - about 1.25" increase.


Driver's side

Passenger side

Strut brace fitted in case I might possibly want to trim the front end for some reason ;-)
Next jobs ...
  • fit flywheel - should be entertaining, the main crank bolt needs 240ftlbs torque!
  • fit the clutch
  • refit the engine
  • refit the adapted distributor
  • set timing
  • FIRE IN THE HOLE
  • Fit the rear wings
  • gaffa tape the number plate on the back end
  • Test drive ... yes, I am THAT close!

Comments