Roll me over, baste me, I'm done

Roll cages .... they're cool and they save your life but what options?

I'm buying a Safety Devices bolt in rollcage because they have a fantastic reputation, they're reasonably priced and you can fit it yourself if you can weld (it may be 'bolt in' but you have to weld on strengthening and mounting plates) and hold a spanner.

Why have one? Well, despite the obvious, this is an open top Beetle and I'm taking it into some rough stuff so the body could do with some cross bracing and I need somewhere to mount proper seat belts as opposed to the crap it has now.

courtesy of safetydevices.com
The Options
  • Full cage (covers from windscreen to rear firewall)
  • rear only (from behind the seats to the rear firewall)
  • single diagonal brace (minimum)
  • cross bracing (2 diagonals)
  • harness bar (for fitting 4 point racing harnesses to)
  • combination of the above

lower bar is not a harness bar
After much head rubbing and chin scratching I've decided that a full cage is absolutely necessary,  a single diagonal is enough for road use (and an absolute minimum in any cage - if it doesn't have one it's just for show) even though where we're going we don't need roads and whilst harnesses look mega cool they are a right PITA on a road car so no point having a harness bar. A cross brace gives me more places to strap shit to and it's only an extra £60 .... and will give the car a more of a 'desert racer' style, so that's a decision then ;-)

The cage will come unpowdercoated so I can weld on tabs to carry inertia reel seatbelts and I preferto paint them anyway (easier to repair).

Why am I stressing about it now when there are so many other thing to worry about? 16 week lead time, that's why. Order by Aug 1st and receive it on November 21st!

And for the avoidance of all doubt .... this why,

Comments